Frequently asked questions and answers about the Chemist Consultation Service.
- What is Chemist Consultation Service?
- What is Chemist Consultation Service’s relationship to CAS?
- How do I get started with Chemist Consultation Service?
- What turn-around time can I expect for the service?
- Is rush service available?
- How do you charge for your services?
- What experience does the Chemist Consultation Service team have?
- What information needs to be provided for Chemist Consultation Service?
- What options are available for delivery of results?
- What options are available for results?
- Is this service confidential?
- What if I have questions about my results?
The Chemist Consultation Service is available to help you find substance information for reports, proprietary files, online searching, and confirmation for an International Nonproprietary Name (INN) or United States Adopted Name (USAN) application. Supply us with names, CAS Registry Numbers® or structure diagrams (including a unique substance identifier limited to 20 alphanumeric characters) and our chemists will provide you with the following substance information:
- CAS Registry Numbers (new or existing)
- CA Index Names
Chemist Consultation Service is a special service of CAS, a division of the American Chemical Society. We are based in Columbus, Ohio at the CAS headquarters. Our team consists of CAS chemists who are experienced in substance identification requirements.
We make it easy:
- Read the CAS Registration Criteria Overview and Registry Number Info Requirements before submitting your request.
- Fill out the Chemist Consultation Service Order Form
- Payment information must be included.
- If there are special details regarding invoicing, including purchase orders, these should be included on the order form at the time of submission.
- Email your signed order form and supporting substance information as indicated in Registry Number Info Requirements.
There is a 10-working-day turn-around time for Chemist Consultation Service orders once all the information needed for processing is received. If the chemist processing the order requires more information, you will be contacted, and processing time will restart once the information is received.
Currently, rush service is not available for this service.
We work on a time and materials basis; consultation rates are $280 USD for the first 30 minutes and $165 USD for subsequent 30-minute increments. Consult CAS Registration Criteria Overview and Registry Number Info Requirements to determine what is required for the complete chemical identity. If, during our chemist review, we discover errors, inconsistencies, or missing data that require additional CAS chemist consultation, additional charges will apply.
CAS chemists with expertise in substance identification will be processing your Chemist Consultation Service Substance Identification order.
Read the CAS Registration Criteria Overview and Registry Number Info Requirements before submitting your request. Submit a name, CAS Registry Number, and/or structure diagram along with a unique substance identifier. If you have further questions, contact us or via email or phone. Please note that failure to include necessary information will result in a delay in the processing of your order and additional consultation time may be required incurring additional consultation fees.
Delivery of results is via email.
Several options for results are available:
- CA Index Name
- Retrieval of an Existing CAS Registry Number
- Assignment of a new CAS Registry Number (if an existing CAS Registry Number exists, it will be retrieved)
If a CAS Registry Number does not already exist for your substance and you would like to have one newly assigned, check the box on the order form to indicate this. Note that selecting this option will make your substance publicly available in CAS REGISTRY®. If you wish to maintain confidentiality for your substance’s identity, you should request a CA Index Name only. If assignment of a new CAS Registry Number is requested, your company’s name will not be attributed to the registration.
Yes! Processing is strictly confidential. CAS maintains extensive security policies and procedures relating to both physical security and the handling of customer-supplied information. These procedures include detailed measures outlining the labeling, handling, tracking, storage of documents, computer access and verbal communication regarding a given request. Without written permission, CAS will only discuss the details in an order with the individual(s) who submitted it. On the order form, there is a space for an alternative contact should you wish to grant permission for CAS to discuss the order with an individual(s) other than the submitter(s).
We are available to help you understand the results for your order. If you have questions about the results for your order, please contact us via email or phone. Please note that if significant additional consultation by a CAS chemist is necessary, additional consultation fees may apply. You will be informed in advance if any additional fees will be incurred in the consultation about your order.
Phone: 800-631-1884 (North America)