(This document is also available in PDF format)
As a participant in the CAS Patent Explorer Study (the “Study”), You agree to the following Study Terms of Participation (the “Terms”).
Access. You may access and use CAS Patent Explorer, its features, functionality and content exclusively to test, explore and provide to CAS feedback as they relate to the Study. By participating in the Study, You agree to provide timely feedback and periodically complete surveys about CAS Patent Explorer, its features, functionality and content as they relate to the Study.
Use Restrictions. You shall not:
- Share Your password and/or login credentials with any other person;
- Make any modifications, adaptations, enhancements, decompilations, changes or derivative works of CAS Patent Explorer or otherwise attempt to discover any source code or modify CAS Patent Explorer in any manner or form.
- Create databases of content derived from CAS Patent Explorer;
- Use any automated program or script for searching and/or downloading content from CAS Patent Explorer;
- Publish, post, upload or otherwise transmit data that contains any virus, Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, corrupted files or other computer programming routines that are intended to damage, detrimentally interfere with, surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any systems, data, personal information or property of another;
- Use or knowingly permit the use of any security testing tools in order to probe, scan or attempt to penetrate or ascertain the security of CAS Patent Explorer; or
- Use CAS Patent Explorer in a manner that is contrary to applicable law or in violation of any third party rights or privacy or intellectual property rights;
Public Disclosure. You shall not publically discuss or disclose the Study, or any CAS Patent Explorer features, functionality and/or content disclosed to You as a Study participant.
Confidential Information. All information and documentation disclosed to You during the Study will be considered confidential and proprietary information of the American Chemical Society (ACS) and its CAS division. You agree to keep all such information confidential and use the confidential information only in connection with Your participation in the Study. At the conclusion of Your participation in the Study, CAS may request You return to CAS, or destroy, any tangible confidential information provided by CAS.
Participation. By participating in the Study, You agree (1) You do not have a conflict of interest with other competing scientific information or service providers and (2) it is Your responsibility to verify in advance that Your participation in the Study is permitted under Your employer’s policies. You acknowledge and agree that CAS may use Your comments and feedback for modifications and enhancements to CAS Patent Explorer, its features, functionality and content, as well as other future products and services.
(a) By You. By accepting these Participant Terms and Conditions and participating in the Study, You represent and warrant
(1) You are at least 18 years of age and have the capacity, right and authority to
participate in the Study;
(2) You will comply with all applicable laws, rules, regulations, and ordinances
(including intellectual property laws) in connection with participation in the Study;
(3) You will not use CAS Patent Explorer for any unlawful or unauthorized purposes; and
(4) Your participation in the Study does not and will not violate any agreement between You and any third party.
(b) By CAS. CAS DOES NOT MAKE ANY WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. WITH RESPECT TO CAS PATENT EXPLORER, THE DATA ACCESSED THROUGH CAS PATENT EXPLORER AND ALL INFORMATION SUPPLIED TO YOU PURSUANT TO THESE TERMS, CAS DOES NOT WARRANT ACCURACY OR COMPLETENESS, IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ERRORS AND OMISSIONS IN SEARCH RESULTS, DOES NOT REPRESENT THAT THE USE OF INFORMATION PRODUCTS OR SERVICES PROVIDED PURSUANT TO THESE TERMS WILL NOT INFRINGE THE INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS OF A THIRD PARTY, AND IS NOT LIABLE FOR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LOSS OF PROFITS) ARISING OUT OF ANY SERVICES RENDERED OR PRODUCTS PROVIDED, OR ANY FAILURE TO RENDER SERVICES OR PROVIDE PRODUCTS PURSUANT TO THE TERMS, OR IN ANY WAY ARISING FROM THE TERMS
Relationship. Nothing contained in these Terms or your participation in the Study will be interpreted to constitute You as a partner, agent, joint venturer, or employee of CAS, nor will You have any authority to contractually bind CAS to third parties.
Ownership. The copyright and title to all property interests in or to CAS Patent Explorer and any content and data accessed using CAS Patent Explorer, are in and will remain with CAS/ACS as owner. CAS/ACS does not grant You any right of ownership.
Privacy. The CAS Privacy Policies, available at https://www.cas.org/legal/privacy, are incorporated herein in their entirety and made a part of these Terms.
Termination. The Study and these Terms may be modified, suspended or cancelled in whole or in part or otherwise terminated by CAS without prior notice. You agree that CAS may terminate Your access to CAS Patent Explorer if CAS reasonably concludes that You are using CAS Patent Explorer in a manner that conflicts with these Terms. You further agree that CAS shall not be liable to You nor to any third party for any suspension of CAS Patent Explorer access.
General Provisions. Should any part of these Terms be unenforceable, all other provisions will not be affected. If CAS does not exercise any right provided for in these Terms, this does not mean that CAS waives the right to exercise it in the future. These Terms shall be governed by the laws of and interpreted by the courts of the District of Columbia of the United States of America. You are responsible for all risks and costs associated with
use of, and data access via, the Study.
If you have any questions about the Study or these Terms, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.