To ensure the best SciFinder experience, use the latest recommended Web browser technology. (Updated June 19, 2014)
- Windows XP Professional, Vista: Firefox 29 and higher, Firefox 24 (ESR); Internet Explorer 7 and 8; Internet Explorer 9.0 (Vista); Chrome 34 and higher
- Windows 7: Firefox 29 and higher, Firefox 24 (ESR); Internet Explorer 8 and higher; Chrome 34 and higher
- Windows 8, 8.1: Firefox 29 and higher, Firefox 24 (ESR); Internet Explorer 10 (Windows 8); Internet Explorer 11 (Windows 8.1); Chrome 34 and higher
- Mac OS 10.6: Firefox 29 and higher, Firefox 24 (ESR); Safari 5.0 and 5.1; Chrome 34 and higher
- Mac OS 10.7: Firefox 29 and higher, Firefox 24 (ESR); Safari 5.1 and Safari 6.0, 6.1; Chrome 34 and higher
- Mac OS 10.8: Safari 6.0, 6.1: Firefox 29 and higher, Firefox 24 (ESR); Chrome 34 and higher
- Mac OS 10.9: Safari 7.0; Firefox 29 and higher, Firefox 24 (ESR); Chrome 34 and higher
CAS Structure Editor Requirements
SciFinder users now have three viable structure drawing editors.
1. Non-Java CAS Structure Editor
A non-Java structure editor is now available. Meeting the basic browser and
The Non-Java structure editor allows SciFinder users experiencing problems with Java to draw structures for substance and reaction searches. The available features are equivalent to those in the Java version. Additional features will be released on an ongoing basis.
2. Java-based CAS Structure Editor
- Having trouble using the Java-based CAS Structure Editor since the release of Java 1.7.0_60? Try the non-Java editor or see our recommended solution (1/16/14)
- Using the Java based structure editor requires a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and the associated Java plug-in to link the JRE to browsers. A 64-bit version of Java is required for 64-bit browsers.
- For all supported Windows operating systems and browsers use Java version 1.6.0_32 or later, or 1.7.0_45* and later.
- For Mac OS X 10.6 up to and including 10.7.3, use Java version 1.6.0_51. For newer versions of Mac OS X use Java version 1.7.0_45* or later.
- Newer browsers may require the most recent versions of Java for security purposes.
- Visit Javatester.org or the Oracle Java site to see if Java is installed and working on your computer.
- Information about downloading and installing Java is available at the www.java.com download page.
| ||* When using Java version 1.7.0_45 or later you may be required to "Allow" Java to run for each new SciFinder session. Look for the warning icon and when prompted select "Allow" or "Don't Block". |
Use the Non-Java structure editor if you have difficulties accessing or using the Java-based editor. For assistance contact the CAS Customer Center.
3. Standalone CAS Structure Editor
Users experiencing problems with the Java-based structure editor also have the option to download a standalone structure editor that can be used in conjunction with SciFinder.
Note: With minor exceptions, the standalone version has the same features as the Java-based version.
Internet Connection Requirements
Check with your organization's Site Administrator, Key Contact or help desk before changing any settings to conform to these requirements.
- SSL (https) connection on port 443 to scifinder.cas.org.
- http connection on port 80 to chemport.cas.org for full-text linking
Additional Recommendations and Requirements
- Add https://scifinder.cas.org to your browser’s "Trusted Sites" and Pop-up blocker Exceptions lists.
- A PDF reader is required for printing SciFinder answers and other information. Adobe Reader can be used with Mac or Windows computers. Preview is a free viewer provided with Mac OS X.
- Appropriate ActiveX and plug-in permissions are required for Internet Explorer.
- Newer Versions of Firefox and Chrome may block the use of older Oracle Java plug-in versions.
- Firefox users may need to activate or update plug-ins if this icon appears in the URL/location bar: