Resources for New STN Searchers
If you are new to STN®, the training and reference materials below can help you get started. Also, for information on commands and when to use them, view STN Commands and Quick Reference Resources.
To find the complete set of more than 200 on-demand STN training resources, including curricula for learning fundamental searching skills, please visit the CAS Learning Solutions resource center.
STN Basics E-Learning Interactive Tutorials - a guided, self-paced, interactive experience
- Basic STN Bibliographic Searching E-Learning Curriculum
Learn how to login, use transcripts, save answers and conduct basic bibliographic searches including multiple terms, operators, truncation, author names, organizations or companies.
- Basic STN Substance Searching E-Learning Curriculum
Learn how to search for CAS Registry Numbers, chemical names, exact and family structures and substructures.
- Basic STN Structure Drawing E-Learning Curriculum
Learn how to draw structures including atoms, bonds, rings, reactions, variables, repeating groups, G-groups and more.
Getting help while you are searching
- Help menu - when you are using STN Express, click the Help menu for STN Express Help files
- HELP command - when you are performing command-line searches, type HELP at an arrow prompt (=>)