WPINDEX - STN AnaVist Database Sheet
The STN® AnaVist™ Database Sheet for WPINDEX includes the following:
Derwent World Patents Index® (DWPISM non-Subscriber file) provides information on patent publications from the 51 most important patent issuing authorities of the world.
Each record in the database describes a patent family, starting with the new invention (Basic Patent) and adding information about the same invention issued in other countries (Equivalents). Two levels of data are available within the database for each record. The Invention Level comprises bibliographic data and Thomson Scientific value-added titles, abstracts, general and where appropriate, in-depth chemical and electrical indexing. Thomson Scientific applies various algorithms to collate and deduplicate the data from the individual member patents of the patent family when creating this 'Patent Family' (Invention Level) view. The Member Patent Level (Publication Level) allows users to search and display bibliographic data and general indexing information associated with individual documents that make up the patent family Invention Level. Users can do very specific searching of individual documents. Additional first level data elements and agent information are also present at the Member Patent Level. The Invention and Member Patent Levels can be searched individually or in combination.
Electrical and engineering drawings may be present in records dating back to 1988, and chemical structure drawings may be present in records dating back to 1992. Beginning with Update 1999-08, two Thomson Scientific value-added content fields, Novelty (NOV) and Technology Focus (TECH), were added. The Novelty field outlines the novelty of the invention. The Technology Focus provides further information to the Basic (Alert) Abstract (AB), describing the invention from different technological viewpoints, thus helping to present the practical scientific content of the patent in a more easily understood form.
The Chemistry Resource (DCR), available beginning with Update 1999-16, offers structure searching and various other substance identification and indexing fields. DCR search results are linked to bibliographic records.
Online thesauri are available in the IPC (/IPC), Manual Code (/MC), and Title Terms (/TT) fields. There is a thesaurus-like feature in the Compound Number (/DCN), Derwent Registry Number (/DRN), and Patent Assignee Code (/PACO) fields.
LWPI is the low cost companion training file for the WPINDEX/WPIDS/WPIX files (images included).
Left truncation and simultaneous left and right truncation (SLART) are available in many fields. See SEARCH AND DISPLAY FIELDS.
In this file, you can SET ABBREVIATONS ON and have abbreviations for certain terms automatically added to the search profile. This file participates in the STN Information Keep & Share Program. Enter HELP SHARETERMS for more information. This file may be used in a multifile SDI.
- 1963 - present
- More than 28.2 million records (5/15)
- More than 17.5 million images (5/15)
- Updated every 3 or 4 days with about 16,500 new records (Basic Patents), about 23,000 Equivalents, Polymer and Chemical Coding, and about 14,000 images (technical drawings and chemical structure drawings)
- Automatic current-awareness searches (SDIs) may be run monthly, weekly, or with each update (1-2 updates per week) (every update is the default)
All patent-relevant areas of science and technology. Start of coverage varies by subject matter and patent authority.
- Pharmaceuticals: 1963
- Plastics and polymers: 1966
- Mechanical, electrical, and general technology: 1974
- Agricultural chemicals: 1965
- All other chemistry and general technology: 1970
Patent documents are covered from various countries listed. Additional Sources are:
- Research Disclosure (1978-present) Copyright: Questel Ireland Limited www.researchdisclosure.com
- International Technology Disclosures (1984-93)
Additional first level data elements such as original titles and abstracts, claims, inventor, assignee and agent information and addresses may be present at the Member Patent Level as follows:
- Australia (2004-present)
- Germany (1968-present)
- European Patent Office (1978-present)
- Japan (1975-present)
- PCT (WIPO) (1978-present)
- United Kingdom (1984-1997, 2004-present)
- United States (1975-present)
- Argentina (1975)
- Australia (1963-69, 1983-present)
- Austria (1975-present)
- Belgium (1963-present)
- Brazil (1976-present)
- Canada (1963-present)
- China (1987-present)
- Czech Republic (1994-present)
- Czechoslovakia (1975-1994)
- Denmark (1974-present)
- European Patent Office (1978-present)
- Finland (1974-present)
- France (1963-present)
- Germany (1963-present)
- Germany Utility Models (1995-present)
- German (Dem. Rep.) (1963-1990)
- Gulf Cooperation Council (2011-present)
- Hong Kong (2011-present)
- Hungary (1975-present)
- India (2004-present)
- Indonesia (2010-present)
- Ireland (1963-69, 1995-present)
- Israel (1975-pesent)
- Italy (1966-69, 1978-present)
- Japan (1963-present)
- Rep. of Korea (1986-present)
- Luxembourg (1984-present)
- Malaysia (2010-present)
- Mexico (1997-present)
- Netherlands (1963-present)
- New Zealand (1993-present)
- Norway (1974-present)
- PCT (WIPO) (1978-presnt)
- Philippines (1994-present)
- Poland (2011-present)
- Portugal (1974-present)
- Romania (1975-present)
- Russian Federation (1994-present)
- Singapore (1995-present)
- Slovakia (1994-present)
- South Africa (1963-present)
- Soviet Union (1963-1994)
- Spain (1983-present)
- Sweden (1974-present)
- Switzerland (1963-present)
- Taiwan (1993-present)
- Thailand (2010-present)
- Turkey (2015-present)
- United Kingdom (1963-present)
- United States (1963-present)
- Vietnam (2010-present)
Thomson Reuters (Professional) UK Ltd.
The Johnson Building
77 Hatton Garden
London EC1N 8JS
Phone: +44 20 7433 4000
Fax: +44 20 7433 4001
Helpdesk: +44 20 7433 4999
Copyright Holder: Thomson Reuters
The Thomson Scientific Databases Terms of Agreement apply to
your use of any Thomson Scientific database on STN International.
For review of these Terms go to
Any other use of the data without the express written permission
of Thomson Scientific is strictly prohibited.
Thomson Scientifc also participates in the STN Information
Keep & Share Program, with additional conditions outlined in
Section 1, paragraph iii of the Thomson Scientific Databases
Terms of Agreement.
Enter HELP SHARETERMS at an arrow prompt (=>) or visit
for detailed information on the STN Information Keep & Share
Program, which allows Recipients to purchase the right to
archive and / or redistribute search results from STN databases
for internal re-use.
For more detailed information, view the STN Database Summary Sheet.