- What is Science IP®?
- What is the relationship between Science IP and CAS?
- You are based at CAS. Do you only search CAS databases?
- Do you only provide searches on topics related to chemistry?
- How do I get started with Science IP?
- How do I request a search?
- Are rush services available?
- Do I need to pay a retainer?
- How do you charge for your services?
- Do you conduct manual searches?
- Why is access to your Technical Advisory Team so important?
- How much experience does your search team have?
- What makes Science IP different from other search services?
- Can you perform comprehensive searches?
- Can we share the Connection Tables we've received from Science IP on our site?
- Can we put the Connection Tables we obtain from Science IP in a permanent or long term database that has wide and general availability to all staff within the organization?
- How do I request Connection Tables from Science IP?
- Is there any limit on the number of projects within an organization that can obtain Connection Tables from Science IP?
1. What is Science IP?
Science IP is the CAS Search Service staffed by experienced researchers who can provide you and your organization with high quality information retrieval in many areas of science. We have many years of experience in searching the scientific and patent literature. We work daily with competitive intelligence professionals, licensing professionals, R & D Management, inventors and patent attorneys who need comprehensive searches of the scientific and patent literature. We also assist information professionals and others who do not have the time, resources, or the needed scientific or technical knowledge to perform a comprehensive search of the patent and scientific literature.
2. What is the relationship between Science IP and CAS?
Science IP is a service of CAS, a division of the American Chemical Society. We are based in Columbus, Ohio, at CAS headquarters. Our Technical Advisory Team consists of many of CAS's most knowledgeable and experienced scientists.
3. You are based at CAS. Do you only search CAS databases?
No. We are committed to providing the most thorough research results possible, and will search whatever databases or other sources necessary to deliver the most complete report.
4. Do you only provide searches on topics related to chemistry?
No. Our search team has been called upon to do research on many scientific and technical topics. We provide high quality research results in most major scientific fields. Our Technical Advisory Team is comprised of experienced, Ph.D.-level scientists representing disciplines such as pharmaceuticals, life sciences, and polymers, to name just a few.
5. How do I get started with Science IP?
We make it easy:
- Call us: 1-866-360-0814 (toll free) or 1-614-447-5650
- Send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax us at: 1-614-447-5443
- Fill out a form (PDF) or submit your request online to request a search.
6. How do I request a search?
Sign up for a free account to use the online Search Request submission form. If you prefer not to use online submission of search requests, or if cookies are not enabled for your browser, you may download a PDF version of the Search Request Form and fax it back to us at 1-614-447-5443.
7. Are rush services available?
Yes! A 24-hour turn-around time is available for an additional charge.
8. Do I need to pay a retainer?
No. After you submit your search, we will contact you to discuss your search request.
9. How do you charge for your services?
We work on a time and materials basis. Please call us at 1-866-360-0814 or 1-614-447-5650 for a free-of-charge cost estimate.
10. Do you conduct manual searches?
We have resources to examine documents from specific classes and sub-classes, including images. We also will employ resources to conduct research at the U.S. Patent Office public search room if necessary.
11. Why is access to your Technical Advisory Team so important?
As the leading provider of scientific information in chemistry and allied sciences, CAS employs highly-educated, highly-trained scientists from incredibly diverse areas of science. The Science IP Subject Matter Experts are drawn from this deep resource of scientific knowledge. Their assistance will ensure that Science IP can retrieve the best possible research results for your project.
12. How much experience does your search team have?
The key members of our Research Team have a minimum of 15 years of experience in searching the scientific literature with a combined total expertise that approaches 100 years. Please see Research Team for more information.
13. What makes Science IP different from other search services?
The Science IP Research Team has a unique and powerful combination of scientific expertise and online search experience. Each team member is a scientist with many years of experience researching the scientific literature and patent documentation. Additionally, each has the kind of insight into searching the leading online service for scientific information, STN®, that can be gained only by years of searching this online system.
Science IP draws upon the scientific and technological resources of CAS, the world's leading resource for scientific information in chemistry and related sciences. The Science IP search team also has access to the CAS Technical Advisory Team, whose members are highly trained and educated scientists with expertise in many areas of science and technology.
14. Can you perform comprehensive searches?
Yes. The Science IP Search Team has many years of experience in researching various areas of science. We have designed our service to provide you with best research results possible. We will search whatever database or other sources necessary to deliver comprehensive scientific information that you can trust.
15. Can we share the Connection Tables we've received from Science IP on our site?
According to CAS data use guidelines, the Connection Tables can only be used internally and cannot be shared with others in your organization beyond the designated project members or those with the need to know.
16. Can we put the Connection Tables we obtain from Science IP in a permanent or long term database that has wide and general availability to all staff within the organization?
No. CAS data use policies are aimed at supporting scientific research performed by individuals and teams of scientists. These policies are not aimed at providing a mechanism to aggregate CAS information and offer it globally within an organization as a substitute for CAS databases.
17. How do I request Connection Tables from Science IP?
Contact Science IP staff or complete the Request form online or as a PDF. The form will contain all of the terms and conditions for the request, including data use guidelines.
18. Is there any limit on the number of projects within an organization that can obtain Connection Tables from Science IP?
No. The only limit is that a global organization may obtain no more than 200,000 Connection Tables from Science IP. These Connection Tables can be used by a team of scientists working on one project or multiple teams of scientists performing project research.