The CAS cited reference collection has just exceeded 400 million! Here are the top ten most frequently cited articles (as of June 2014):
- Title: A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding
Author: Bradford, Marion M.
Organizational affiliation: Dep. Biochem., Univ. Georgia, Athens, GA, USA
Source: Analytical Biochemistry (1976), 72(1-2), 248-54
Number of times cited: 92,854
- Title: Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4
Author: Laemmli, U. K.
Organizational affiliation: MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge, UK
Source: Nature (London, United Kingdom) (1970), 227(5259), 680- 685
Number of times cited: 79,618
- Title: Protein measurement with the Folin phenol reagent
Authors: Lowry, Oliver H.; Rosebrough, Nira J.; Farr, A. Lewis; Randall, Rose J.
Organizational affiliation: Washington Univ., St. Louis, MO
Source: Journal of Biological Chemistry (1951), 193, 265-75
Number of times cited: 60,918
- Title: Density-functional thermochemistry. III. The role of exact exchange
Author: Becke, Axel D.
Organizational affiliation: Dep. Chem., Queen's Univ., Kingston, ON, K7L 3N6, Can.
Source: Journal of Chemical Physics (1993), 98(7), 5648-52
Number of times cited: 49,294
- Title: Development of the Colle-Salvetti correlation-energy formula into a functional of the electron density
Authors: Lee, Chengteh; Yang, Weitao; Parr, Robert G.
Organizational affiliation: Dep. Chem., Univ. North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 27514, USA
Source: Physical Review B: Condensed Matter and Materials Physics (1988), 37(2), 785-9
Number of times cited: 42,576
- Title: Generalized gradient approximation made simple
Authors: Perdew, John P.; Burke, Kieron; Ernzerhof, Matthias
Organizational affiliation: Dep. Phys. Quantum Theory Group, Tulane Univ., New Orleans, LA, 70118, USA
Source: Physical Review Letters (1996), 77(18), 3865-3868
Number of times cited: 37,052
- Title: Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search program
Authors: Altschul, Stephen F.; Madden, Thomas L.;Schaffer, Alejandro A.; Zhang, Jinghui; Zhang, Zheng; Miller, Webb
Organizational affiliation: Natl. Cent. Biotechnol. Information, Natl. Library Med., Natl. Inst. Health, Bethesda, MD, 20894, USA
Source: Nucleic Acids Research (1997), 25(17), 3389-3402
Number of times cited: 35,774
- Title: CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice
Authors: Thompson, Julie D.; Higgins, Desmond G.; Gibson, Toby J.
Organizational affiliation: European Molecular Biology laboratory, Heidelberg, D-69012, Germany
Source: Nucleic Acids Research (1994), 22(22), 4673-80
Number of times cited: 33,197
- Title: Single-step method of RNA isolation by acid guanidinium thiocyanate-phenol-chloroform extraction
Authors: Chomczynski, Piotr; Sacchi, Nicoletta
Organizational affiliation: Lab. Biochem. Metabol., NIDDK, Bethesda, MD, 20892, USA
Source: Analytical Biochemistry (1987), 162(1), 156-9
Number of times cited: 32,340
- Title: Basic local alignment search tool
Authors: Altschul, Stephen F.; Gish, Warren; Miller, Webb; Myers, Eugene W.; Lipman, David J.
Organizational affiliation: Natl. Cent. Biotechnol. Inf., Natl. Library Med., Bethesda, MD, 20894, USA
Source: Journal of Molecular Biology (1990), 215(3), 403-10
Number of times cited: 29,977
Find out more about cited and citing reference searching in SciFinder and STN.